NEED TO KNOW
-
Kyle Busch called for medical attention at Watkins Glen International on May 10, just weeks before his death at 41 on Thursday, May 21
-
Fox NASCAR announcers noted that he had a “sinus cold,” and Busch later told reporters he had a “substantial” cough
-
It is unclear if this illness is related to his final hospitalization
Kyle Busch sought medical attention for a “substantial” cough during a race just two weeks before his death.
Busch, who died at 41 on Thursday, May 21, requested assistance at Watkins Glen International on May 10, as captured on his radio by Fox NASCAR.
Advertisement
“Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel?” Busch is heard saying, after a commentator noted that he had a “sinus cold.” Heisel is the director of OrthoCarolina Motorsports and leads a team of doctors who provide care at NASCAR races.
“He’s the kindred doctor guy,” Busch continued on his radio. “Tell him I need him after the race, please. I’m gonna need a shot.”
About a week later, Busch explained his symptoms to reporters in a video shared by The Athletic reporter Jeff Gluck.
“I’m still not great,” Busch said. “The cough was pretty substantial last week.”
It is unclear if this illness is related to his final hospitalization.
Advertisement
NASCAR announced his death on Thursday, hours after his family said he was hospitalized for a “severe illness.”
“On behalf of the Busch family, everyone at Richard Childress Racing and all of NASCAR, we are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch,” the joint statement from NASCAR, the Busch family and Richard Childress Racing read.
“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch,” the statement continued. “A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation.”
The statement went on to describe him as “fierce”, as well as “passionate” and “immensely skilled.”
Advertisement
“Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR’s highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series,” the statement said. “His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.’”
Kyle Busch, driver of the #7 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet, celebrates in victory lane after winning the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series ECOSAVE 200 at Dover Motor Speedway on May 15, 2026 in Dover, Delaware.
Credit: Sean Gardner/Getty
Earlier on Thursday, the Busch family announced the two-time NASCAR champion was hospitalized and would miss two upcoming races in North Carolina. He was set to race in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race at the speedway in Concord, N.C., on Friday, May 22, and on Sunday, May 24 at the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Follow your favorite athletes on and off the field with PEOPLE’s free sports newsletter — sign up now!
“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization,” the Busch family said. “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
Advertisement
Read the original article on People
Read the full article here

