Subscribe

Mets manager Carlos Mendoza spoke ahead of Friday’s highly-anticipated home opener against the Blue Jays.

Here are the most important notes…


Juan Soto ready for a new Big Apple ovation

At long last, Juan Soto will hear his name introduced at Citi Field, nearly four months after signing a record-breaking $765 million contract to play in Queens. The ovations he received in Port St. Lucie throughout spring training came first, but the reception from a home crowd with nearly six times more fans will be unrivaled.

Soto’s first road trip with the Mets was average, considering his superstar standards. The slugging outfielder hit .238 in 27 plate appearances, but collected his first home run and double while also walking six times.

It’s safe to assume that Soto will enjoy the home cooking, even while getting settled into his new digs in a new borough. The 26-year-old has thrived at Citi Field in his career, slashing a laudable .333/.466/.709 with 12 homers, six doubles, and 26 RBI in 35 games. Mendoza realizes what Friday means to Soto and the fans.

“It’s special, especially after the offseason and all the rumors,” Mendoza said. “‘Where is he going to go? Finally, he’s a Met.’ Getting to play in front of the home fanbase for the first time is going to feel real now, even though we’re already six games into it. Coming home and getting that ovation today is going to be pretty special, and I’m sure the fans can’t wait.”

Citi FIeld should also give Pete Alonso a warm welcome. After months of stalled free-agent negotiations between the Mets and veteran slugger, there were moments when a reunion seemed doubtful.

But through six games, Alonso appears eager to live up to the two-year, $54 million prove-it contract he signed in mid-February. With a pair of clutch homers against the Marlins in Miami, he’s delivered some swagger to a Mets lineup that’s still trying to find its groove.

The consensus is that Soto will hear the loudest ovation during warmups, but Alonso brought the team back home with some much-needed momentum. Regardless, the incessant cheers won’t only belong to them.
“The good thing is we can say the same thing about a lot of the guys here,” Mendoza said. “What’s the ovation going to be for Lindor? What about Nimmo? What about Pete? Because we didn’t know what was going to happen and it happened late. The way he’s been playing the past six games, the fact that he’s back and what he means to this team and this fanbase. You can make a case for a lot of players here, and that’s a good feeling.”

Yes, there’s no place like home

The Mets returned to the Big Apple on Thursday after completing a six-game road trip to begin the 2025 campaign, and when they take the field against the Blue Jays on Friday afternoon, they’ll be vying for a ninth home-opening win since 2015.

Mendoza is plenty familiar with Opening Day atmospheres. Before taking over as Mets skipper in 2024, he spent six years in the Yankees’ dugout as their bench coach. He’s comfortable with heightened season expectations and raucous New York crowds, but the traditional pregame introductions and festivities for a home opener stir special emotions.

“It’s always great to be home again, playing in front of your fanbase. Packed house, loud, very exciting,” Mendoza said. “It’s a unique atmosphere. The way the fans are into every pitch. They’re right there behind you. It’s a really good feeling, it’s coming from a really good place. It’s fun. It’s kind of hard to describe, but it’s such a special place here…

“Last year, I don’t think we had a sold-out crowd. I think we’re going to be sold-out today. It’s a little different than last year, I think we got rained out. Going through the playoffs and feeling it, even though this is the home opener, it’s pretty similar. It means a lot. It’s a privilege, nothing we can ever take for granted.”

Progress on the injury front

Mendoza shared encouraging updates on a few injured players who are in attendance for the home opener. Francisco Alvarez, who’s still recovering from a fractured left hand, is scheduled to catch a bullpen thrown by Kodai Senga on Friday. The Mets catcher is also swinging the bat and handling cage work.

Alvarez participated in receiving drills with soft baseballs last week, while using his surgically-repaired left hand. He broke his left hamate bone on March 8 during live at-bats in camp, and the latest news suggests that he’s still on track to return in late April, on the shorter end of the initial six-to-eight week recovery timeline.

As for Jeff McNeil, still working his way back from a mid-March oblique injury, he’s taking swings off a machine in the cage, according to Mendoza. His return to the active roster still remains unknown. Mendoza also mentioned that lefty Paul Blackburn, who’s on the injured list with a knee issue, is scheduled to throw a bullpen on Saturday. His season debut could arrive in a few weeks.



Read the full article here

Leave A Reply

2025 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Exit mobile version