LIV Golf has officially canceled its team championship in Michigan, the latest broadside in a series of massive setbacks for the reeling golf tour.
LIV Golf announced on Monday that the season-ending team championship event in Michigan, which was set to start on August 27 at The Cardinal outside of Detroit, has been called off.
Advertisement
Instead, this season’s individual and team champions will be crowned this week at the event in Indianapolis.
“By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands,” CEO Scott O’Neil said in a statement, in part. “We are reimagining LIV Golf as a fundamentally new league owned by the players and anchored in a sustainable business model, with an evolved fan experience built for the markets where the game is growing fastest across the globe and the support of world-class partners. … As we concentrate on finishing the season strong and building the next chapter of LIV Golf, we’ll carry the energy and enthusiasm our fans have shown us into what comes next.”
This marks the second tournament of the season to be canceled. LIV Golf’s New Orleans event was postponed in April, but there has been no real attempt to reschedule it. That event became the source of friction between LIV Golf and the government of the state of Louisiana, one of many entities circling LIV Golf and seeking some form of restitution as the tour’s fortunes turned worse.
There is now just a single tournament left in the 2026 campaign. LIV Golf Indianapolis will start on August 20.
The signs of the championship’s cancellation began earlier in the summer — or, to be specific, didn’t begin. Most significant golf tournaments require substantial build-out — construction of grandstands and hospitality tents, routing of power cables, et cetera — but as the summer wore on, no such activity took place at The Cardinal.
Advertisement
The team event had vanished from Fox Sports’ TV schedule well before its official cancellation. And in the waning moments of the Bedminster event, TNT Sports’ Craig Doyle said the individual championship in Indianapolis beginning Aug. 20 would be the season’s final event.
So, what’s next for LIV Golf?
Despite its assurances that all is well, the future for LIV Golf remains incredibly uncertain.
Brought into existence and funded for the first four years of its existence by the billions of Saudi Arabia’s effectively limitless Public Investment Fund, LIV Golf suddenly found itself in dire straits in April when the PIF pulled its support. LIV Golf has spent the intervening months searching for outside investment to keep its operations going.
Advertisement
Early in August, prior to its Bedminster event, LIV Golf announced that it had secured an unnamed “lead investor” to fund the league for several years to come. Specifics were not announced at the time, nor was the name of the investor. While LIV Golf players and officials kept up brave and enthusiastic public faces, the truth was more dire: With rare exceptions, LIV has struggled to connect with golf fans even with the might of Saudi Arabia’s wealth behind it. How would a pared-down LIV Golf fare in a competitive sports market?
One of LIV Golf’s key selling points is its team framework — 13 teams made up of four players each, many bound by national origin. LIV Golf has long touted the franchise model of teams as a potentially lucrative investment, and the teams’ logos are ever-present at events and on the apparel of LIV Golf players who participate in majors and other outside tournaments. That emphasis on team play is what makes the loss of the team event such a dark sign.
Advertisement
And this year, the league has been marred both by legal battles and several big names making the jump back to the PGA Tour. Brooks Koepka returned to the PGA Tour earlier this year, and Patrick Reed will do so later this fall. Bryson DeChambeau, perhaps the biggest name on the circuit, still does not have a new contract with the elague.
There have been multiple lawsuits filed against LIV Golf, too, including one that accused it of stealing the idea for the league. The Asian Tour struck a deal to leave LIV Golf and partner with the PGA Tour and DP World Tour earlier this month, too, something that reportedly caught O’Neil and LIV Golf by surprise.
LIV Golf’s future remains very much in doubt unless and until the unnamed “lead investor” comes through, and the conditions on that investment could be significant and substantial — requiring star players like DeChambeau and Jon Rahm to stick with the breakaway league, for instance.
So while LIV Golf’s 2026 season is almost over, its challenges still remain.
Read the full article here


