Subscribe

Tyson Fury says his fight with Anthony Joshua “doesn’t look like it’s going to happen” in a verbal tirade against his British rival and promoter Eddie Hearn posted on social media.

The pair had been expected to meet in November in one of the biggest fights in British boxing history, but uncertainty over where the bout will take place has cast fresh doubt over the deal.

Advertisement

Joshua and his promoter Hearn have signed a contract for it to be staged in the United Kingdom, while Saudi organisers are pushing for a move to the United States.

“Doesn’t look like they’re going to sign the fight and it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen all because Eddie Hearn and that want more money,” Fury said in a series of Instagram stories.

Joshua and Fury have separate contracts with Saudi Arabian-owned Sela. New York’s Madison Square Garden is understood to be Sela’s preference so that the fight – which will broadcast on Netflix – can cater for American audiences.

On Thursday, Hearn told IFL TV that a list of changes required for the fight to take place in America had been sent to Sela.

Advertisement

Hearn says the main change concerns compensation for Joshua because of the different tax implications of fighting in America.

“In layman’s terms, by staging the fight in America, Anthony Joshua receives less money than he would do if the fight was in the UK where he was contractually agreed,” he said.

Fury responded by calling Joshua and Hearn “disgusting” and “money-thirsty”.

“It is what it is. Same old cliche a decade later. Keep running you little cowards,” he added.

In further posts containing expletives, Fury called Hearn a “bag carrier” and criticised Joshua’s mindset.

Advertisement

“I’ll move on and fight somebody else but just know you never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury, ever, you little coward,” Fury added.

Hearn sends list of addenda to Sela

Eddie Hearn (left) has promoted Anthony Joshua since the heavyweight turned professional in 2013 [Getty Images]

In addition to the request for increased compensation, Hearn said his list of addenda covers practical matters including travel, accreditation and media arrangements.

Hearn said it had been approved by Joshua and his lawyer before being sent to Sela.

“We’ve had no feedback yet,” Hearn said, adding that he had not heard from Sela for three or four days.

Reports on Thursday suggested a list of changes had been presented to the Saudi organisers. Hearn claims those reports were based on a leaked email and insists the issues raised in it were not part of the list sent to Sela.

Advertisement

“The addendum does not have one of those points raised in that leaked email,” he said.

Hearn did confirm Matchroom held a meeting with Sela regarding money owed to the organisation for previously agreed contracts.

He said those issues, which reportedly included payments relating to darts and snooker events, international promotional fees, the World Series of Darts, the Ronnie O’Sullivan Snooker Academy in Riyadh and money owed to Matchroom from previous boxing events, were separate from the Joshua-Fury contract.

Hearn did not directly address claims that Joshua was still owed money from his most recent fight against Kristian Prenga.

Advertisement

“I’m not going to go into that at the moment. That’s a contractual position that will be left for another day,” he said.

BBC Sport has contacted Sela for comment.

Fury backs Dana White involvement

Dana White smiles and is wearing a black jacket

Dana White made his name as president of the UFC before moving into the world of boxing [Getty Images]

The situation has been complicated by the arrival of the Dana White-fronted Zuffa Boxing, which is jointly owned by Sela and TKO Group Holdings. TKO is the managing partner, while White is among the promotion’s executive leaders.

Hearn has criticised the push to stage the fight in America.

“The reason that this is happening, to be completely honest with you, is because TKO and Zuffa have basically convinced or tried to convince Turki that this fight is massive in America,” he said.

Advertisement

Fury also addressed White’s involvement.

“White wants to be involved, he can come on my side. He can be a part of me. Get in, Dana. You want to make the fight, you can come on my side,” Fury said.

BBC Sport has also contacted TKO for comment.

Joshua and Fury are two of the biggest names in British boxing and have become crossover stars during their careers.

There has been strong support from within British boxing for the fight to take place in the UK.

Hearn said the importance of staging it in Britain had nothing to do with how many fans could attend.

“It’s about British boxing. It’s about amateur boxing clubs. It’s about kids watching the biggest fight in boxing in our country,” he said.

Advertisement

He also highlighted Joshua’s history in Britain, including winning Olympic gold at London 2012.

“And more than that, it’s about Anthony Joshua wanting to have this fight in Britain where he won the Olympic gold medal, where he won the World Championship, where he absolutely changed the face of boxing forever,” Hearn added.

More boxing from the BBC

Read the full article here

Leave A Reply

2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Exit mobile version