It didn’t come as a surprise when the Red Sox moved Walker Buehler to the bullpen last week given the right-handed starter struggled in the rotation. But it was expected the two-time MLB All-Star would be given some time to gain comfortability in the ‘pen seeing how he started 162 of 164 games since 2018.
That was before circumstances changed, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow said after the Red Sox released Buehler on Friday afternoon.
“Our hope and our expectation was we were going to be able to provide enough runway to give him a chance to settle in and transition into that role and then contribute down the stretch and get some meaningful outs for us,” Breslow said before the Red Sox opened a three-game series against the Pirates. “But circumstances changed.”
A key factor, as Breslow indicated, was Boston placing Richard Fitts (right arm neuritis) on the 15-day injured list on Tuesday. In turn, the Red Sox needed a starter for the back end of their rotation and selected promising left-hander Payton Tolle from Triple-A Worcester.
Tolle is the No. 2 prospect in the Red Sox farm system, according to MLB Pipeline. He’s scheduled to make his MLB debut opposite Pirates superstar Paul Skenes at Fenway Park on Friday.
Red Sox setup man Justin Slaten was activated from the injured list Thursday, as well. Having not pitched since late May, Slaten’s return could help an already-dominant bullpen. He has a 3.47 ERA in 24 games this season.
Breslow admitted it was a tough decision to release Buehler, whom the Red Sox signed to a one-year, $21 million deal just eight months ago. Buehler opened the season third in the starting rotation behind left-handed ace Garrett Crochet and right-hander Tanner Houck, whose mid-May injury opened the spot right behind Crochet.
Buehler, however, couldn’t take advantage. He went six-plus innings in eight of his 22 starts and the Red Sox went 12-10 in those contests. The 31-year-old departs Boston after compiling a 5.45 ERA in 112.1 innings across 23 games.
When asked why the Red Sox opted to outright release Buehler as opposed to designating him for assignment and thus give the ballclub time to plot its next move, Breslow expressed it was in fairness to Buehler.
“Just trying to be mindful and respectful of who he is and what he’s accomplished,” Breslow said.
Buehler now has an opportunity to latch on with a team in the midst of a playoff push while Boston believes the arrival of Tolle and return of Slaten to pay dividends down the stretch.
Read the full article here